Lower the forks to the floor when parking the forklift. Make sure that the forks touch the ground when you are leaving. Apply the parking brake when it is the idle position. All operational controls of the truck must be in the neutral position before the driver alight the forklift compartment.
What should you do every time you park a forklift?
- Select an area to park. Do not park in an unauthorized area. Do not block an aisle or exits. Follow your company’s parking procedures.
- Apply brake slowly and stop.
- Neutralize the controls.
- Set the parking brake.
- Turn off the ignition.
- If the truck is parked on an incline, block the wheels.
When parking or leaving your truck you should?
When parking or leaving your truck, you should: – Park or leave your truck in a safe area away from traffic.
What should you do if the forklift tips over?
If the forklift is tipping over, protect yourself by staying put: Stay in your seat and do not attempt to jump off. Lean away from the falling direction of the lift. Hold onto the steering wheel and make sure you’re stable.
What should you always do before reversing the forklift?
Reversing the Forklift
- Keep a clear view in the direction of travel.
- Look in the direction of travel. …
- Always be aware of limited visibility, and use extra caution when driving in reverse.
- Consider using ground guides, rear-view mirrors, spotters, or other aids to increase visibility while operating in reverse.
13 июн. 2017 г.
Is a forklift deemed unsafe if the horn doesn’t work?
A forklift is classified as a vehicle which is designed to carry and lift heavy loads. … When the horn of the forklift does not operate, it is considered not safe to use. The horn of the forklift is very important because it is used as a signal to warn anyone around the area.
How long does it take to stop a forklift at full speed?
And when they are carrying heavy payloads, forklifts can take even further to stop. If a forklift is traveling 7 miles per hour, it can take the operator approximately 16 feet to stop the vehicle completely in an emergency. Increase that speed to 9 mph and it can take more than 21 feet to stop.
Why are forklifts so dangerous?
There are many factors that explain why forklifts are dangerous: Forklifts are heavy. … The weight of a forklift is unevenly distributed, which makes it harder to operate and drive. The rear wheels of a forklift are responsible for turning the vehicle, increasing the chances of tipping during tight turns.
What is the most important safety device on your lift truck?
When handling loads, forklift operators must be aware of off-center loads, overloading, and damaged or loose loads. Operators need to be careful when approaching loads, using the proper mast position, and the fork position. The most important safety device on your lift truck is a properly trained operator.
When preparing to move off the safest procedure is as follows?
MOVING OFF 10 Before moving off, look round and move only when you can do so safely. An easy way of remembering this is GOB which stands for Gears, Observations then Brakes.
What is the maximum safe speed for a forklift?
The Material Handling Equipment Distributors Association (MHEDA) recommends a max speed of 8 mph in general and a 3 mph max speed in areas where pedestrians are present.
Where can I not park a forklift?
Do not park the forklift in a location with its fork arms protruding the passageway, where there are a lot of pedestrians who will have to step over them. Do not leave the truck in any access doorways and it should not block any stairways of the workplace. Never leave the truck near first aid stations.
Why do forklifts not tip over?
At the back of every forklift is a counterweight. The size of this counterweight will depend on the capacity of the forklift. … The counterweight acts as a balance for the weight being lifted by the truck’s forks. As long as the center of gravity is inside the wheelbase for the vehicle, the forklift won’t tip over.
What should not be done when operating a forklift?
- Do not use the tip of the forks as a lever to raise a heavy load.
- Do not push a load with the tip of the forks.
- Know the capacity of your forklift and any attachments being used and never exceed this capacity.
- An overload can cause the rear tyres to be raised off the ground and may cause the forklift to tip over.
What can you not do with a forklift?
Forklift operators should never:
- Raise or lower loads while the forklift is moving and especially not while turning because it makes the forklift very unstable. …
- Allow anyone to stand underneath or right next to raised forks. …
- Carry a load with only one fork as it stresses the carriage.
When setting a load What should you do first?
Requirements and Recommended Practices:
- Check that there is adequate overhead clearance before raising the load. …
- Carefully lift the load up above the lower stack about 10 cm (4 inches). …
- Lift the load clear and then tilt the mast back slightly to rest the load against the load backrest extension.